[MPlayer-dev-eng] wmv9dmod.dll load failure: bug report + patch

Alex Eskin alexeskin at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 5 08:26:34 CET 2004

On my computer (fedora core 1,
MPlayer-dev-CVS-040201-12:56-3.3.2),
any attempt to load wmv9dmod.dll results in a
segmentation fault in init_video_codec.

However, other dlls work fine
(for example 'mplayer -vfm qtvideo' plays
quicktime files with no problem).

I was able to track down the problem somewhat.
wmv9dmod.dll wants to be loaded at
0x400000, but the mplayer process has another
mapping there (according to pmap). In this
situation, the correct thing to do would be
to relocate the dll, but instead pe_image.c
loads it at 0x400000.  mplayer crashes
soon afterwards (with a nonsensical backtrace).

The attached patch (not to be applied)
fixes the problem for me, by always forcing
relocation.

It is clearly not the way to
go, since it is sure to break other dlls.
I hope that someone who understands these
issues can give me a pointer as to how to fix it
properly.

Could the problem have something to do with prelink?

Thanks,

Alex Eskin