[MPlayer-dev-eng] printf -> mp_msg conversion (etc.), first patches

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Mon Aug 30 12:22:45 CEST 2004

Attila Kinali writes:
> On Sat, Aug 07, 2004 at 09:02:22PM +0200, Torinthiel wrote:
>
> > IIRC (correct me if I'm wrong) if you change message so that it changes
> > %* tags you should delete them from translations. Or (as you did, which
> > is possible with smaller changes) change it right away of course - I
> > prefer the latter as it's less work for translators and I'm one ;)
> >
> > Anyway the point is, that if you leave these strings than until
> > translation is synced using it is dangerous (consider changing from %s
> > to %i, and printf getting int but reading it, because of old transation
> > as string).
>
> Right, this should go into the docs, aka patches.txt

How about:

13. Do not use printf for console output, use our own mp_msg functions instead.
    For the output to be translated (and all messages below level MSGL_HINT
    should be translated), put the strings in help/help_mp-en.h. If you change
    strings, remove the occurrences of this string from the translations, there
    may be trouble if it remains in place and translators will pick it up more
    easily this way.

Diego