[MPlayer-dev-eng] audio quality

Alexander Strasser eclipse7 at gmx.net
Fri Aug 20 11:16:02 CEST 2004

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 07:01:01PM -0700, Glyco-Radio Network wrote:
> If I use MPlayer (rather than encoder), I've found the following works:
>
> -dumpstream mms://mydomain.com/mystream -dumpfile test.blah
>
> But I get a 8Khz recorded stream and have no idea what format its
> actually dumping too.
>
> I would like to increase the quality.
> I would prefer it dump it to a WM9 pr MP3 format (with tailored
> settings).
> I would prefer it do it without launching an MS-DOS window
>
> I *looked into* Vorbis as you suggested but have no idea where to start
> or how to record a stream of audio via command line as simply as
> -dumpstream with MPlayer.  This seems to be exactly what I'm looking
> for, providing I can accomplish the above three tasks.

No i think dumping the stream is not what you search for, as it simply
dumps the stream as it is. Very fast cause it doesn't re-encode it, but
this seems to be what you want to do.

> Can anyone clarify what I would need to do to accomplish these tasks?

If you want to re-encode it you should use a decoder / encoder
combination. For example MEncoder, but i don't know if MEncoder
is the right thing for your needs ( as diego already said ).

But anyway, is there any point to post this on devel list?
Or do you want to extend MEncoders functionality?

  Alex (beastd)