[MPlayer-dev-eng] Xvideo Extension

Sascha Sommer saschasommer at freenet.de
Fri Aug 6 12:31:00 CEST 2004

> You could help with describing how you use Xvideo extension, because you
> know it better than me. I would like to redirect all video operation to
> that backing store pixmap, so that I receive damage events.

Well, Xvideo uses the overlay feature of the video cards to draw the video on
the screen. That means most of the time the video is never converted, but
stored in some yuvbuffer on the video card. This data is never merged with
the screen data but gets converted, scaled and overlayed during the display
process. Afaik there is no way to access this yuv data again from within X
and no way in general to access the converted and scaled data.
When used with colorkeying (it's the default afair) the video is only shown
on the place where the screen has a certain color.

I doubt it is easy to make Xvideo working with your desktop, cause it is a
special technique to use hardware acceleration for video playback and all
its advantages are gone when you blit to some backing store pixmap first.

Sascha