[MPlayer-dev-eng] Mplayer fails to play faac created aac file

Dan Christiansen danchr at daimi.au.dk
Sun Aug 1 16:27:30 CEST 2004

ismail dönmez wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I encoded a real small aac file with faac ( attached it too ) . But
>mplayer fails to play it.
>
>Notes: Mplayer from CVS is self compiled with gcc 3.4.1. I was able to
>reproduce problem with any faac created aac. file.

By default, FAAC creates ADTS AAC files. It's a bitstream format largely
comparable to what MP3s use. If you compiled it with libmp4v2 support,
it will create an MP4 file when passed the -w flag, and since 1.24, it
defaults to creating MP4 for *.mp4 and *.m4a files. MPlayer plays MP4
AAC, but not ADTS AAC.

You really should be using MP4 AAC rather than ADTS AAC. It's more
compatible, has more features and just generally better. The main
drawbacks of ADTS AAC is that there is no seeking and tagging support.

- Dan Christiansen