[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: bug database

Moritz Muehlenhoff jmm at informatik.uni-bremen.de
Tue Apr 27 14:08:31 CEST 2004

Moritz Bunkus wrote:
>> so IMHO, a bugtracking system should at minimum support:
>> * sending email notifications of new bugs & changes
>
> Every 'serious' BTS can do that, IMHO, but I'm no expert.

Bugzilla lets you configure the events, for which it sends
mail notifications on a per-user-basis.

>> * a fast pure textmode interface, no shitty html only system
>
> I have no idea how BTS handle this, but I agree that a text mode
> interface is needed.

The submittance of new bugs is pretty easy:
You write your bug in a specially formatted template file and
the bugzilla-submit script feeds it into Bugzilla.

There's also a Bugzilla extension from Mandrake which let's you change
bugs through a mailinterface. It's pretty neat, the whole mail body
is attached as a comment, attachments are included as well and you
can change resolution by writing command such as "@resolution=fixed"
in the mail. It's a bit hackish, though, requires manual adjustments
and a Bugzilla version from the 2.17 devel branch.

>> * internaly data must be stored in a simple format so we could change to a
>> different system by just converting the data with a short script
>
> Even if it's stored in a SQL database it's not THAT hard to convert
> stuff with a small Perl script...

Right now Bugzilla only supports mysql for the storage backend, but
extraction is indeed very easy and the database layout is well documented.

>> * has at least following states: unconfirmed, confirmed, analyzed, fixed,
>> wont-fix, invalid, not-reproduceable, fixed-untested

Most of these already exist in Bugzilla and the remaining ones are pretty
easy to add, especially with the 2.17 branch.

>> * some priority field

Bugzilla has five priorities.