[MPlayer-dev-eng] divx2svcd-0.5.1

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Apr 26 10:29:58 CEST 2004

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 11:12:13AM +0300, Jan Knutar wrote:

> > The problem is that AVI files can have duplicate frames by storing a
> > 0-byte frame in the AVI file.
>
> Aha..
>
> > These all get lost when you dump the
> > video out, so A/V sync will be broken.
>
> Do you know how these duplicate ones are handled when using -of mpeg?
> Zero sized frames in mpeg as well or something fun and accidental like
> that?

I expect they're handled some totally broken way. But maybe of_mpeg
makes "zero-change" P frames or B frames rather than just a 0-byte
frame..? RTFS... :)

> So, this problem would go away, if mencoder would when getting a 0 sized
> frame as input, feed the last proper frame again to libavcodec, or is
> it not as simple as this?

Yes, this is the proper fix. But it's not so easy, because you have to
send a duplicate frame through the whole filter chain, and that's
difficult. The video layer isn't designed for stuff like this.
Actually it's quite broken. One of the main goals (for me) of G2 was
to get rid of problems like this, but I don't know any easy workaround
in G1...

Rich