[MPlayer-dev-eng] FFII software patent demo, politics, KiSS

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Wed Apr 21 03:00:38 CEST 2004

* Jan Knutar <jknutar at nic.fi> [2004-04-20 16:05:42 +0300]:

<snip>
> Although a message warning about patent status borders on the limit to
> religious fanaticism alá RMS and Debian, I think it's a good idea to
> include one. It will raise awareness of this whole mess, and might gain
> a few more people to the demonstrations against sw patents, whether
> such an event be in EU or not. The message should however not be in the
ACK.

At least every opensource project should make clear that they're
endangered by those monopoly rights. Also als SME should, but thats
another problem ...

<snip>
> As for the CLI, how about instead of:
>
> Selected video codec: [ffodivx] vfm:ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG-4)
>
> display this:
>
> Selected video codec: [ffodivx] vfm:ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG-4) (possibly
> patent encumbered)

Better: (independent from the codec)

* WARNIG: Most aspects of programming are patented, meaning that someone   *
* who first filed a patent describing it has been granted a monopoly       *
* right on dedicing who is allowed to implement it and so prohibit every   *
* work on it. Such patents are granted without the need of showing that    *
* the patent holder is able to implement it the patented concept.          *
*                                                                          *
* Due the enourmous amount of trivial and broad patents, practically       *
* no usable software can written without infringing patents. It is qute    *
* impossible to ensure that a certain software is free from patent claims. *
*                                                                          *
* The authors refuse any responsibility for patent claims due the          *
* impossibility of ensuring patent freedom of software. In case of patent  *                   *
* infrigenment you should hold those people who voted for legalizing       *
* software patents responsible.                                            *
* Further information can be found at ....                                 *

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT services

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact at metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481