[MPlayer-dev-eng] FFII software patent demo, politics, KiSS

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Apr 19 22:24:02 CEST 2004

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 07:15:46PM +0200, Alex Beregszaszi wrote:
> Hi,

> > > Shall I ask to FSF to help you out with research?  I have explicitly
> > > been offered help in this area.
> > sure, why not
> btw, imho mjpeg isn't free as FFII showed a patent according to JPEG on
> a banner

It's quite simple. Patents are so ridiculous that anything using any
concept similar to DCT/FT (or probably even any blockwise
change-of-basis) is patented. IMO it's not worth giving credit to
these invalid patents.. As long as these patents stand, it's simply
impossible to make a non-patented codec that performs any useful
compression.

I'm against any kind of "patent-warning" in MPlayer. It discourages
people from using good codecs. Better to get people used to having all
the codecs they should, so that they're outraged when some stupid
corporation tries to tell them they have to stop.

Rich