[MPlayer-dev-eng] fix ASX issue

adland adland123 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 18 07:26:10 CEST 2004

> Since you are interested in asx stuff :) can you have a look at this
> url
>http://www.cohn-bendit.de/de/dany/videos/wetterbericht/140404/
wetterbericht_schmal.asx

OKay see below what I have found out so far.

> The same happens if you play the final url mms://81.209.145.111/dcb/
> wetterbericht/140404/ws/140404_de.wmv directly

A solution for this is to use mmst:// as the protocol for url above

(however the url in the playlist is set as mms:// which you cant change
on the fly)

mplayer uses different code then for the asf_streaming if mmst:// protocol

libmpdemux/asf_mmst_streaming.c versus asf_streaming.c when opening
 a connection to the remote server

playback will start immediately upon cache fill.

from code asf_streaming_start in libmpdemux/asf_streaming.c

// Note:        MMS/HTTP support is now a "well known" support protocol,
//              it has been tested for while, not like MMST support.
//              WMP sequence is MMSU then MMST and then HTTP.
//              In MPlayer case since HTTP support is more reliable,
//              we are doing HTTP first then we try MMST if HTTP fail.

should we allow a user to choose
method to use mmst first instead when url is mms:// protocol
like when using WMP?

(command line switch?)

What do others familliar with this code think about this?

(Note also mmsu support seemed commented out)