[MPlayer-dev-eng] Saving indexes generated with -forceidx

Jason Tackaberry tack at auc.ca
Mon Sep 22 03:28:38 CEST 2003

Hi,

When encoding an AVI with mencoder that ends up being larger than 2G,
mplayer doesn't let me seek in the resulting AVI, of course, because of
the lack of ODML.

However it does seem that when I play this big AVI with -forceidx, after
waiting a good while for the index to generate, mplayer allows me to
seek in this movie.  So while mplayer doesn't save/read index for AVIs >
2G, it does seem to have the necessary support at least internally.

So I'm wondering if it's possible to save the indexes generated by
-forceidx to a file and then later read them in?  This would at least be
a stopgap solution for large AVIs until mplayer fully supports ODML.

Thanks,
Jason.