[MPlayer-dev-eng] cruft removal

Thu Oct 30 14:54:40 CET 2003

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Arpi wrote:

A>> What do you mean by that? For example, my new Radeon 9800 card uses DRI,
A>
A>arent you use ati's binary driver?

Yes. With it, acceleration is accessed via regular dri module.

A>> but gl2 performs good. gl is worse; it doesn't support osd, ignores
A>> aspect in fullscreen and works with the same speed.
A>
A>maybe the new cards like yours now support all colorspaces modes etc
A>by hardware, so it doesnt matter, but for old cards, like voodoo3 or
A>matrox g400 gl2 is much worse.

Or maybe there are driver problems... I remember that with older ati
drivers and radeon8500 gl2 was slow as hell (50% cpu usage to display
320x240 video without postprocessing on 2ghz cpu).

Right now it's fast, and sometimes faster than gl. I doubt that 9800
supports more colorspaces than 8500, this should be driver problems. Ati
binary drivers for linux are much worse than nvidia ones...

Btw, some interesting benchmarks:
Both gl & gl2 don't support yuv colorspaces. gl supports only rgb24 and
rgb32, but gl2 supports only rgb24 and bgr24 (why?). I didn't test
16-bit rgb colorspaces.

playing 640x480 mpeg4 video. Just decoding (-vo null -vf scale):
cpu usage 5% decoding

"-vo gl -vf scale" (uses rgb32).
"-vo gl -vf format=rgb32"
26% decoding, 14% filters & output