[MPlayer-dev-eng] Native codecs from libavcodecs

Roberto Togni r_togni at libero.it
Fri Oct 10 00:18:40 CEST 2003

On 2003.10.09 23:55, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Thursday 09 October 2003 23:48, Roberto Togni wrote:
[...]
> > Everyting is stored in cpu endianness except 24bit rgb, that have
> two
> > explicit formats RGB24 and BGR24 :(((
> what would u suggest instead (and why) ? these formats arent used
> much
> yet in
> libavcodec so we could still change them
I'd like to have RGB24 and RGB32 with the same order, so i can easily
output RGB24 source to RGB32 destination by incrementing destination
pointer (es for BGR32: outupt 3 bytes; pointer = 3 + (use_rgb32==1);).

Having a well defined byte ordering allows a codec to output image one
byte at a time, else it will have to pack them together and output as a
word/dword (or do different thing based on endianness).

Does RGBA32 implies the existance of an alpho plane, or is just a label
for 32bpp RGB format?

Ciao,
 Roberto