[MPlayer-dev-eng] What 're native Win32 DLLs doing in mplayer?

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Thu Nov 20 21:24:24 CET 2003

Kyryll A Mirnenko wrote:
>    Can smbdy explain me what does mplayer do with native Win32 DLLs?
>  I've just found FreeBSD-4 mplayer package & was surprised see when in
>  it.

There are several video and audio formats for which a free codec does
not yet exist. So, in order to play such files mplayer loads the Win32
DLLs (using code base on WINE, as far as I know).

In cases where a free codec is developed, the capability for loading the
DLL remains, for testing and comparison purposes, as in "ffmpeg svq3 has
a problem playing this file, but the Quicktime DLL handles it ok" or
"hey, look how much faster the open-source codec is compared to the
original!"

-Corey