[mplayer-dev-eng] use gcc instead of calling ld directly

Paul Jarc prj at po.cwru.edu
Tue Mar 25 00:05:08 CET 2003

Rüdiger Kuhlmann <mplayer-list-UGa6JdjLujS2 at ruediger-kuhlmann.de> wrote:
>> If our script is buggy we'll fix the bugs. Yes, every once in a while
>> someone commits dumb bash2-specific code to it, but the same mistake
>> can be made with configure.in! Just drink the cola, fix it, and move
>> along.
>
> You say you know autoconf - however, the file where autoconf generates
> configure from is called configure.ac. Go figure.

In previous versions, it was called configure.in, and the current
version still uses that if configure.ac does not exist.

>>> Regardless, there are some projects that store the autoconf-generated
>>> files in CVS.
>
> That's bad practice because it's an auto-generated file.

It's a matter of taste.  As you say, don't let your dogma get in the
way.  For projects where the autoconf-related files change very
rarely, and most developers are not familiar with autoconf, it may be
preferable to making all the CVS-checkout users install autoconf, and
making all the developers learn it.

paul