[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPCF proposal (yet another name)

Dan Christiansen danchr at daimi.au.dk
Wed Mar 12 10:26:41 CET 2003

On Wednesday, March 12, 2003, at 03:37 AM, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> Please, can we cut the name proposals that don't have anything
> special/significant about them and that aren't even pronouncible? We
> could come up with a hundred different three-letter acronyms for stuff
> like this, but they're all the same and totally boring and lifeless.
> Kinda like MCF. :(
>
> Rich

How about MEF, "MEdia Format" or "MEdia File"? It has the advantages of
being pronounceable and currently unused. A variation could be EMF,
"Extensible Media Format", but the extension seems to be taken by
someone else. (I don't know how common the "Enhanced Windows Metafile
Format" is, but a file extension conflict might prevent the file format
from gaining acceptance on Windows and/or Mac OS X.)

Out of the previous suggestions, I'd prefer NUT. However, it has the
downside of not really sounding like a professional quality media
container.

http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=mef
http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=emf

- Dan