[MPlayer-dev-eng] patches

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Wed Mar 5 16:35:40 CET 2003

Hi

On Wednesday 05 March 2003 14:52, Gabucino wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > anyway IMHO, all patches which arent explicitly rejected by someone after
> > a week should be applied by whoever notices it
>
> This is Bad.
this can only be bad if a patch is bad and it isnt rejected for 1 week (or
longer if the we agree on a longer timespan, perhaps 1 month would be more
reasonable as some devels might be busy/away for a while)
and this can only happen if either
noone looked at the patch or noone understands the patched part or ppl are too
lazy to say that its bad

i dont really belive that noone looks at the patches, as its much more
difficult to write them then to quickly look at them ...
and if noone understands the given part of mplayer then applying the patch &
seeing things break will improve the understanding IMHO ;) and it will then
either be fixed or reversed
and the knowledgde that a patch will be applied if noone says that its bad
will very likely decrease the number of ppl who review a patch & then do
nothing

perhaps my reasoning is flawed dunno ;)

Michael