[MPlayer-dev-eng] patches

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Wed Mar 5 11:02:48 CET 2003

Hi

it seems the amount of unapplied patches is steeply increasing :(
IMHO we should do something against that, ... like applying them ;)

perhaps a karma point system would help
so developers who apply a patch get 1 point
dev. who flame loose 1 point
dev. who flame because of a applied patch even though they didnt say a word
like "dont apply because ..." before should loose 5 points
this could be extended to include the amount of fixed bugs too ...

sadly this is very likely not possible as counting flames automatically is
tricky, but applied patches / bugfixes could be counted relatvely easiely
after we have some patch-tracker (roundup)

anyway IMHO, all patches which arent explicitly rejected by someone after a
week should be applied by whoever notices it, this might introduce a few bugs
into cvs, but reversing a patch is easy (patch -R ; cvs commit ...) and just
ignoring all patches is IMHO far worse ...

Michael