[MPlayer-dev-eng] How to get a working CVS snapshot

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Tue Mar 4 12:09:08 CET 2003

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 01:13:45AM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 03:26:58AM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > Gansser, Martin writes:
> >  > the libavcode directory isn't complite, it contains only the dir CVS.
> >
> > This problem keeps recurring and keeps confusing people.  If nobody
> > objects, I am going to finally cvs remove the libavcodec directory for
> > good (and update the docs accordingly).
>
> Arpi used to have some objection but I forget what it was now...

IIRC it was more along the lines of "Let the users RTFM and leave me alone
with this uninteresting subject."  There were no material objections.  He
said he wanted to let go of some control and this has been a constant source
of confusion..

> IMHO we should make libavcodec mandatory (compiletime error if it's
> missing) so stupid users don't mistakenly compile without libavcodec
> and then complain to -users that they can't play any movies...

That's a separate subject.  Does anybody seriously use MPlayer without
libavcodec?  With xvid instead, or maybe win32 DLLs only ;-)

Diego