[MPlayer-dev-eng] mencoder very slow on x86-64 architecture

Martin Jungowski jungowsk at in.tum.de
Sun Jul 27 13:26:23 CEST 2003

Hi,

In order to bench an x86-64 computer I installed SuSE x86-64 and
compiled mplayer 0.90. The problem is though, that mencoder doesn't seem
to recognize the CPU hence does not enable MMXEXT for IDCT transform and
motion compensation.
I assume this (and probably also the fact that by not recognizing the
CPU, neither SSE nor SSE2 are enabled) is the reason why the
self-compiled 32-bit mencoder running under SuSE Linux 8.2 for IA32 CPUs
is up to twice as fast as the self-compiled 64-bit mencoder running
under SuSE Linux 8.2 x86-64. Also does the self-compiled 32-bit mencoder
perform equally under SuSE x86 IA32 and x86-64 - which is ok given that
it does use MMXEXT for IDCT and motion compensation which the 64-bit
mencoder does not.

I have tried everything, rewriting cpudetect and cputable, the Makefile,
the configure script, absolutely everything for like two days - and
nothing, I can't figure out a way to force mencoder to enable MMXEXT for
IDCT and motion compensation. I'd appreciate any help since mencoder is
one of the most important benchmarks on that 64-bit platform.

Martin