[MPlayer-dev-eng] documentation HOWTO

Gabucino gabucino at mplayerhq.hu
Wed Jan 29 15:28:06 CET 2003

Diego Biurrun wrote:
> the most common spelling errors
Arpi's "teh" instead of "the" :) Rarely "eth" :)

>   HTML docs
>   - UPPERCASE, keep document style
Until SGML.. :(

>   - <CODE> for '/etc/mplayer.conf'</CODE>
And for all filenames, most possibly.

>   - MPlayer, not mplayer, unless you mean <CODE>mplayer</CODE>
>   - MEncoder, not mencoder, unless you mean <CODE>mencoder</CODE>
>   - no HTML editors, please
>   - punctuation directly after a word. not word .
>   - A'rpi
>   - 79 (80?) chars wide text
80 is also fine

>   - don't forget to update the TOC
>   - labels should be of the form "section_subsection"
>   - say option instead of switch
>
>   - whitespace:
>     - two linebreaks after each section
>     - one after each paragraph
>     - no trailing whitespace
Also avoid double spaces "  "
I've seen very much of them in the EDL or GIF section today

>   - prefer definition lists for explaining parameters
(I'll have to learn that someday:)

>   text docs
>   - 79 chars wide text
80
We're not on Commodore 64 where newline characters require one byte :)
We'll convert it back to 79 when LGB ports MPlayer to C64.

--
Gabucino
MPlayer Core Team