[MPlayer-dev-eng] 0.90 release plans and others

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Jan 20 22:01:43 CET 2003

Hi,

> I think mplayer needs a maintainer. Really. But I would try the same approach
> as they did for the kernel development - use two different cvs trees and then
> create a stable and a hacker mplayer - the stable one for a rock solid and
> nice code and the hacker one for quick improvements and cvs access for more
> developers. I think this would server both ideas.

yes i had thsiindea in teh past, but porting code from hack tree to stable
tree is extremly big work for someone...

> So I would suggest to split the development in more or less independent
> modules - codecs part, video out part, mencoder part, (possible video
> editor part), demuxer part and so on.

yes it's my primary goal for the new player. the current one is bad by
design, modules depends too deep on eachother, thanks to the so many hacks
and tricks over there. and anyway too.

btw don't expect me to start writing a new mplayer next week.
i'll start it later, maybe in a few months, maybe years, maybe never.
and it won't be a whole player (at least by me) just a stripped down, clean
player/encoder core.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team