[MPlayer-dev-eng] 0.90 release plans and others

Balatoni Denes pnis at coder.hu
Mon Jan 20 13:04:15 CET 2003

Hi!

imho both projects have advantages and disadvantages.
A big advantage of mplayer for sure is its smaller mem needs - i can't
use xine on my pda eg. :)
imho merging the good parts from both projects would be a nice thing -
there would be a  player which is nice modular, supports every format, is fast
and consumes little mem. maybe it's a bit naive/utopistic :)

> > Probably not, but will it lose the race against xine?
>
> imho we lose it already. see xine, its popularity started to grow since a
> month and keeps growing. while we spend our expensive time by rev.
> engineering codecs, optimizing code, writing demuxers, they improve the
> gui. then they 'steal' the others and win. we have no chance against

bye
Denes

btw: what I always hear being said is that gcc3.2 optimizes better than gcc
2.95 actually - don't know which is true