[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: 0.90 release plans and others

Andriy N. Gritsenko andrej at lucky.net
Mon Jan 20 12:26:56 CET 2003

    Hi, Balatoni Denes!

Sometime (on Monday, January 20 at 13:13) I've received something...

>ps: no flame or anything, just wondering what advantages one thread has
>compared to several threads - when I run mplayer there are 100 other
>processes, so switching around 10 more processes wouldn't add much overhead
>imho.

AFAIK, multithreaded environment has one bad side - POSIX(tm) threads
exist not everywhere. :)  But instead it has some advantages - it does
speed up application a little (not all CPU(s) environment has to be
reloaded), it takes fewer memory and it has built-in memory sharing. ;)
Really on current OSes threads and fork use the same or alike scheme. :)
I already make some threads-based project so I can say it's convenient.

    With best wishes.
    Andriy.