[MPlayer-dev-eng] 0.90 release plans and others

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Jan 20 00:50:06 CET 2003

Hi,

Ok, the long-awaited rc3 is out, with the fixes of all major known bugs.
(The only exception is vo_svga, but imho it isn't so broken as Gabu says, and
afaik the problems are only in <=8bpp modes.)

IMHO it's time to close this oh-so-long-delayed 0.90 release.
So, i'm about waiting a week, for possible rc3 bugs appearing, and then
release the 0.90 final/stable. Take it as a more strict CODE FREEZEE!!!
(or comment against it. it's only IMHO, anyway i know that few developer agree)

Only critical fixes and trivial patches may go in from now.
(exceptions: libaf, Gui, libavcodec, vo_svga).

The real question is: what will be happening after 0.90 released?
I have several things in mind, comments welcomed:
1. we should apply the delayed patches (see my mail sent yesterday about patches)
2. we should switch to the patch tracker (roundup)
  (if no objections, we should change docs/tech/patches.txt _before_ 0.90)
3. we should do quick cleanup of cvs tree, for example rename linux->osdep,
   docs dir (Hungarian->hu) etc.
4. upgrade libmpeg2 to 0.3.1+Fabian's patch
5. maybe upgrade to liba52 cvs & merge in (or redo?) the asm optimizations
6. remove obsolete code, like old config parser and much more
   (maybe remove .raw font support too)
7. change build & install stuff (cross-lib dependency etc)
8. Leave project. (*)

*: not a joke. i've spent _all_ of my spare time in last 2 years on mplayer
development, maintaining, testing, mailing, bugfixing etc. I'll give away
the maintainer job after 0.90 (anyone interested? i hoped that Alex will
take it but nowdays he's also about leaving the project :().
I have some plans to write a new player from scratch, by reusing libmpcodecs
and maybe a bit more, rewriting libmpdemux and use a library-like approach
(libmplayer core + independent 'frontend' player code), but i won't start it
soon. I also want to work on amc (mc clone), improve my mp3 player and so on.
And i have plans for a few utils i could use to help my commercial job.
IMHO mplayer is good enough now that it won't lost in /dev/null if i leave.
(but it really needs a new code maintainer - or maybe not: i can imagine
that it may work unmaintained, ie. everyone with cvs access will commit
everything, it will result in more unstable code, but also much faster
improvement/more features. or it will just go mad and turns to be unusably
unstable in a few weeks. who knows... see egcs vs. gcc story as example)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team