[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: CVS: main/DOCS/tech libavc-options.txt,1.26,1.27

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Jan 2 18:01:13 CET 2003

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 04:27:45PM +0100, Peter Niemayer wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday 01 January 2003 16:41, Rémi Guyomarch wrote:
> > > In case you didn't noticed, Michael committed lots and lots of things
> > > in libavcodec recently : qpel, bframes+4mv fixes, better bframes ME
>
> Does the use of B-frames already have a visible effect on quality when
> using the same bitrate as before? Is it worth the additional compatibility
> trouble? - Last time I tried video encoded with libavcodec + bframes wasn't
> replayed correctly by divx-5 - I know this is certainly not libavcodecs fault
> but it's simply causing lots of confusion... and can the ffdshow filter
> solve that ugly "frame ordering" problem?

IMHO the idea that B frames improve quality is a myth. With a really
smart B frame selection algorithm, they probably could improve
quality, but as it stands, they mainly serve to provide temporable
scalability at playback time (since they can be dropped) and to create
a huge headache for players. Anyone with different experience feel
free to explain otherwise...

Rich