[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: MPlayer-dev-eng Digest, Vol 2, Issue 82

Alex Tribble alext96 at softhome.net
Fri Feb 14 20:07:03 CET 2003

> This is a silly and unnecessary step. NO OTHER PROGRAM has ever
> created /usr/[local]/man/$lang dirs on my system, so obviously they
> know they're not supposed to automatically. I suggest you figure out
> how to properly do this if you want mplayer to install multi-lingual
> manuals!

Then obviously you haven't installed a multilanguage system before.
On my system, (a RedHat system) /usr/share/man/de/man* contain the
German localized manpages. I realize now that the solution I sent in a
few days ago doesn't handle this correctly - it installs the localized
page in /usr/share/man/man1, which is not the correct behavior.
As to it being unnecessary, I don't know about that. The idea is, man
checks an environment variable, and delivers a copy of the localized man
page to your terminal. This is very useful if users speaking different
languages will be using your computer.

BTW, there is also a /usr/share/man/de_DE, which leaves me wondering if
certain programs don't handle their localization routines correctly.

Alex