[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPCF: sub_packet_size concerns

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Feb 14 07:12:14 CET 2003

Michael, I was just reading thru mpcf.txt again, and I'm a bit
confused about how the sub_packet_size field is supposed to work. Are
you assuming audio will always be multiple fixed-size packets per
container-level packet? This is definitely not the case for vorbis,
which uses variable size packets, so if our new container can only
handle fixed-sized audio packets, it's mostly useless, since the
immediate use would be to mux vorbis audio with mpeg4.

If this isn't a problem, the document at least needs to specify how
variable-length audio packets should be stored. Somehow storing a
whole mpcf packet for each audio packet (several hundred bytes) seems
really wasteful. Do you have something in mind to handle this better?

Rich