[MPlayer-dev-eng] understanding mplayer's filters

Billy Biggs vektor at dumbterm.net
Mon Dec 29 17:49:31 CET 2003

Enrico Weigelt (weigelt at metux.de):

> By reading the recent thread about inverse-telecine-filter, i've
> learned, that is seems to be a little bit more difficult. Are some
> streams not somehow a representation of picture-sequences, but instead
> make heavily use of physical effects of TV screens to be usable ?

  Interlaced video is designed to be played on a device with the exact
refresh rate of the signal, it's true.  Telecine is not a 'hack', it is
really quite simple.  The property that people get confused by is just
interlaced video, and inverse telecine is pretty funky if you treat the
input as a sequence of frames and not fields.

  You might want to check out my latest more visual explanation of
interlacing to get a better feel for interlaced video.  It may explain
the 'physical effects' a bit more clearly:

  http://scanline.ca/deinterlacing/visual.html

  -Billy