[MPlayer-dev-eng] QuickTime

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Sep 18 19:24:44 CEST 2002

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 11:29:13AM +0300, ktolis wrote:
> umm...
>
> hello
>
> i was wondering if you are considering in adding QuickTime support in
> MPlayer. Let me exaplain. In MacOSX you can use the Carbon framework to
> utilize QuickTime to read the data from the .mov .mp4 .avi etc etc etc

Using the entire framework is silly; you might as well just use
Apple's junky player. There have already been efforts to load just the
needed stuff for Quicktime and call into it directly, but it's hard
work reverse engineering the interface. Read the archives for info:

Also most of this work has been on x86 so far, so even if it ever does
progress more, it probably won't be supported on mac unless someone
using mac is interested in coding it.

> this would be a nice feature. I was thinking also if you could add
> support on the native mpeg2 decoding library under MacOSX (or the
> extension you may buy from Apple that does that under QuickTime) so
> DVDs are playable with MPlayer.

Huh? You don't need quicktime or some proprietary Apple lib for DVD,
it's just mpeg2. MPlayer already has both libmpeg2 and libavcodec
which can decode mpeg2. If DVD support isn't working on OSX, it's a
matter of the DVD reading code not being ready, NOT a codec issue.

Rich