[MPlayer-dev-eng] Wishlist

Joey Parrish joey at yunamusic.com
Sun Sep 8 20:07:33 CEST 2002

Hello,

On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 12:03:10AM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> imho if the win32 port is in process - it must be a good one, a native port
> maybe using mingw or even msvc or icc. it should have ported win32 timer,
> dvd/vcd/net interface, getch2, ao and vo modules, and native support for
> win32 codecs. then it has some sense...
>
> the cygwin thing is a big messy slow hack, and has no any sense imho

Agreed, but cygwin makes porting much easier.  I believe that
to port an app that's as unix-specific as mplayer, it will help
greatly to first make it work under cygwin, then start compiling
mplayer one internal lib at a time using gcc -mno-cygwin (behaves
just like mingw this way.)  Then we identify the parts of code that
are not portable to win32 and do it one step at a time.  I'm very
willing to put in heavy work on this, but I believe that for now
it's better to let the heavy porting wait for the big API changes.
When mplayer internals start getting rewritten, then I can follow
along with the changes and suggest portability issues for win32 as
it's developed.  Keeping portability in mind from the beginning is
really the only way we'll have any win32 code that's not a big hack.

> A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

--Joey

--

"All you need is love." --Darth Vader