[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Problem decoding a H.263+ stream

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Sat Sep 7 08:44:04 CEST 2002

FYI, the subject of this thread is now inaccurate, because mplayer (with
recent ffmpeg codecs) can now play H.263+ RTP streams OK.  For example, the
following now works OK:
     mplayer -fps 15
rtsp://darwin.horizonlive.com:554/finlayson/sample-h263-ulaw-8000.mov

>it doesn't work if you're behind a masq-router.

NAT is usually not a problem for RTSP/RTP, as long as you're NATing UDP
packets as well as TCP.  However, RTP won't work if you're behind a
firewall that blocks UDP packets.

I've said this before, but it's worth repeating: If you are behind a
firewall that blocks UDP, you are not able to fully participate in the
Internet.  All voice-over-IP (IP telephony) uses RTP/UDP.  All Internet
videoconferencing uses RTP/UDP.  All Internet television (and a lot of
Internet radio) uses RTP/UDP.  So, you should *really* try to get your
Internet connection fixed.

>Btw. Ross: what about supporting socks or http proxy with CONNECT ? I think
>there are even special rtsp proxies.

RTSP has an optional feature that allows the RTP data streams to be
streamed within the TCP control connection.  Supporting this (as an option)
is on my "to do" list.  Apple also has a (non-standard) option that allows
RTSP commands to be sent over a HTTP connection as well.  I may end up
supporting that as well.  (But, as always, features requested by paying
customers take priority.)

         Ross.