[MPlayer-dev-eng] new slave volume control command

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Sep 5 04:41:53 CEST 2002

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 02:52:05AM +0200, Felix Buenemann wrote:
> On Friday 16 August 2002 07:55, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > >
> > > s at tcp/ip at unix sockets@ and it makes sense. Otherwise its nonsense,
> > > anyone can connect and control your mplayer (unless someone adds a
> > > bloated access control layer, and even then anyone on localhost could
> > > screw with it). Of course even better is just controlling thru pipes,
> > > or just sticking with the current method.
> >
> > Well, one problem with the current method is that if your piping data into
> > mplayer from stdin, you can't use the slave commands.
> > A pipe or a unix socket would be really nice.
>
> hmm, I must say I like the idea of tcp/ip for control as it's very flexible
> and adding a simple crypted auth is not that hard. besides you could default
> to only allow cons from localhost. Did I miss sth. here?

This is silly -- you have unix sockets for that purpose. Crypted auth
is a pain to get right, and requires lots of overhead and stuff that
doesn't belong in a movie player IMHO. If you want to control it
remotely you can use ssh to authenticate and login then run a client
to connect to the unix socket.

Rich