[MPlayer-dev-eng] Question about function of -quiet

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Oct 15 21:26:01 CEST 2002

Hi,

> (Mainly directed to main authors, but anyone can re: :)
> In regards to the patch I submitted earlier, my thoughts may be differing
> to what you think -quiet should do.  My understanding is that when -quiet
> is passed to mplayer, in theory, there should be no console output, only
> the video and/or audio, and of course errors or debugging if enabled.  Is
> this not the case?  I do notice when using -quiet at this time almost, if
> not all, of the same things are shown as without -quiet.

The -quiet option only disabled status prints, nothing more. It's in the TFM
too. If you're about changing the meaning of this option, it's something,
but not a bugfix. Also, it should be done much cleaner way, in mp_msg.c,
filtering for given message types (ie allow error/warning only).
If someone wants reqlly qiet, just do >/dev/null, it does what you want, as
errors/warns are sent to stderr while more verbose stuff to stdout.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team