[MPlayer-dev-eng] [BUG] in mms support

Bertrand Baudet bertrand_baudet at yahoo.com
Mon May 13 12:01:20 CEST 2002

On Monday 13 May 2002 02:14 pm, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > The current support for mms in mplayer only use HTTP.
> > To have a full mms support in mplayer that will require
> > to have mmsu, mmst and http.

> > I hope that gave you a understandable overview
> > of mmsu/mmst/http.
>
> thank you for the explanation!

Your welcome ;)

> > If you have questions, fell free to ask ;)
>
> just 2 small one:
> - what's the difference of plain wget-style http and mms:// using http?
>   some extra fields in http request header?

Yes, that's one thing, they also encapsulate asf packets with some
packet type, seq num, size header, so you need to understand them
and remove those packets before behing able to have the asf "file".
The other difference is the rate that the packets are sent to the client.
With a normal wget-style http, the packets are sent at the speed that
the client can receive them, with mms over http the server send the
packets when the client need them, by setting the rate based on the
packets timestamps.

> - do you plan to implement (ro fix/rewrite that patch) mmst:// support?

Unfortunatly I don't have much time to do an implementation of the mmst.
I will try to see if I can make work the current mmst implementation,
I need to understand how it works, that another thing...

Do you want to have mmst support in mplayer even if the protocol is
less well understood than the current mms over http?
The current mms over http has been tested for some time now, and it's
working fine AFAIK.
I'm just afraid that by adding the mmst support, mplayer will be less reliable
than by using the http one. Note that the proper fall back should be
mmsu, mmst and then http.

Bertrand