[MPlayer-dev-eng] MplayerXP WILL NOT HELP YOU (Official answer)

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Mar 31 20:12:37 CEST 2002

Hi,

> > i really want my system to spend negative times with i/o stuff ;)
> > more io - less cpu usage - sounds gerat! i want threads Now!!! :)
> Negative values are your stuff - I didn't touch it yet!

my code NEVER printed negative values... it cannot print as it's impossible
to happen if te other 3 values are correct...
it means that something is really bad with your other numbers...

anyway i wouldn't call your paste as benchmark - no environment, no -v logs,
no public accessible file give etc... in short: it isn't reproducable.
you probably never learnt anything about iso 9001 and such standards, but
there are basic rules of benchmarking, just cut'n'pasting few nice numbers
has no meanings at all.

> I really don't know why you compute systime ;)
> Who intersested to know time of other processes?

not only other processes - it's idle time and system i/o time

> > > REAL RESULTS: dropped=938 too slow=222 too fast=0
> >
> > it shouldn't drop a single frame on such system with vidix and DR.
> >
> Yes with vidix there is 0 dropped frames.
> But it's not VIDIX test but XP mode only; when movie is decoded and scaled
> on CPU only (without using of HW accel). Same as Intel is presenting quake3
> which is run with help of UP P4 only.

but who needs XP with software stuff and dropped frames when he can get full
rate playback with vidix or direct rendering ?

anyway the frame dropping code in mplayer is shit, it's fact.
it was hacked together in 10 minutes and was never improved, because of lack
of such slow hardware. maybe gabucino could help here, using his 386 :)

i think with some clever fps control and dynamic dropping control it could
be much better, even better than your nice xp...

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team