[MPlayer-dev-eng] Fwd: Re: libmpcodecs TODO

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Mar 25 23:39:27 CET 2002

faszom kivan mar
--------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Mike Melanson <melanson at pcisys.net>
To: Arpi <arpi at thot.banki.hu>
Subject: Re: libmpcodecs TODO

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Arpi wrote:

> there are few codecs left out by Nick:
>
> faad
> vorbis
> libmad
> gsm (i'm doing it now)
> g72x (dropped, useless)
> libac3 (dropped, disabeld since 0.60)
>
> Anyone could help porting them? Atmos? Alex?

	Again, did you mean to send this email only to me. Anyway, I've
been wanting to give both GSM and g.72x the same treatment that I gave
ADPCM: Document the general algorithm and then document the specific
on-disk data formats that various implementations actually use. It sounds
like there are a number of codecs that use them or bastardizations thereof
(g.723 for Vivo, g.729 for RealAudio SiprNet). G.72x has always frustrated
me because it feels like they're somewhat open standards and, at
the same time, jealously guarded secrets. Sort of like MPEG.

--
	-Mike Melanson