[MPlayer-dev-eng] proposed new codecs.conf [Re: new video codec selection code]

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Mar 20 04:14:11 CET 2002

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 10:02:41PM -0400, Juan J. Sierralta P. wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-03-18 at 13:07, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 04:48:45PM +0100, Daniel Egger wrote:
> > > Why libmpeg2 before ffmpeg? The latter is much faster for and I would
> > > rather tend to remove libmpeg2 at all since ffmpeg now does mpeg2
> > > decoding as well.
> >
> > libmpeg2 is a TON faster for mpeg1 and 2. Also, ffmpeg seems to have
> > problems continuing after dropped frames with mpeg1/2 (the video just
> > freezes until the next keyframe when i use -framedrop), whereas
> > libmpeg2 seems to do fine with a few dropped frames. This seems odd to
> > me since -framedrop is only supposed to skip vo, not decoding
> > (right?), but that's what seems to happen...
>
> 	Did you test that stream directly with ffmpeg ?
> 	I been transcoding DVDs with ffmpeg without problems, but note that I
> made some commits on mpeg2 decoding to handle telecine stuff and to
> parse some braindead DVDs .....

There's no way to test the same thing with ffmpeg, since it's entirely
tied to framedrop. Without -framedrop, -vc ffmpeg12 plays the movie
fine, but the a/v sync drifts horribly until mplayer gets fed up and
quits.

I'll check to see that this problem still occurs with the latest
version, but I'm pretty sure it does.

Rich