[MPlayer-dev-eng] droping frames

Attila Kinali kinali at gmx.net
Tue Mar 19 22:05:32 CET 2002

Hoi Alban,

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002 13:04:50 +0100
Alban Bedel <albeu at free.fr> wrote:

> "His method gains not speed but smoothness" :
> Really, you gain only smoothness. My version usally dropped more frames than
> the classic mplayer. But beside this the overall experience was far better, I think
> it was mainly comming from the fact that because it was quicker to drop frame it was
> also quicker to recover.

Hmm.. alternative ideas about frame dropping ? Good!
IMHO the framedroping code needs some work done. It drops
far too much frames (IMHO).

I have some test sequenzes where there are maybe half a second
of fast movement (need to be dropped) but mplayer keeps dropping for
another half second :-(

I tried once to get it droping always 2 frames ('cause my experince
was, if mplayer needs to drop, than it's not only one frame) but
didnt succeeded (didnt understand the framedrop code enough).

So, i'd like if someone could have a look at the framedrop code
to improve it a bit. One possible idea is the above, but i'm sure
there are others too.

		Attila Kinali

--
I am a moslem, i am a terrorist.