[MPlayer-dev-eng] MplayerXP vs Mplayer. Hall of truth.

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Sun Mar 17 19:30:23 CET 2002

Hello, Arpi!

On Sun, 17 Mar 2002 19:37:47 +0100 you wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > > DR wiht single buffer really helps on slow systems where video bandwith is
> > > the bottleneck, so on p1 and slow celerons. m2dr+dga really achieves dixiv
> > > playback on tehse without framedrops!
> > > your decoding ahead won't work wiht single buffer so you lose the biggest
> > > advantage of direct rendering - updating avg 30% of framebuffer instead of
> > > memcpy the whole
> > It works with temporary buffers in RAM (-vo xv)
>
> no xv
> such slow systems (like p1 or old celerons) usually has no xv-capable cards
                                              ^^^^^^^
> but dga or vidix or xmga (1 buffers) could work there fine
Middle size divx4 can be fitted into 2MB of video upto 7 times.
> it was tested with dga, and it worked well on p1 - search archive, it was
> done a year ago (!) by Acki (similar DR hacks like yours - but never comited)
> again: on p1 mmx with no drops, not on celeron 266 with drops as yours
>
> > Anyway you can't implement something better there.
> ?
>
> > And such solution can be as generic thing.
> threads?
For threads!

> > > mplayer is not a program!
> > > it is a collection of various sources, gpl and non-gpl ones
> > > this is why distributing it in compiled form is forbidden...
> > You have very limited licence. Before I though that it caused by some
> > limitation in tempoary stuff like encoder odivx and so on.
> > But you forbit to have compiled collection of your sources!!!
> > GPL never forbit compile a program.
> > Every commercial program can be compiled with GPL'ed shared object.
> LGPLed. not GPLed.
It's disputable question

> > Every commercial product communicates with GPL'ed kernel.
> > So it seems just as stupid limitation.
> there are no shared objects nor LGPL
>
> ans we'll remove this stupid license as soon as we get rid of things keepeng
> us away from binary packages. but you'd better RTFMing

Anyway - I can redistribute your sources under GPL as you said.
Second - you should make it as soon as possible simply because mplayer has
many parts which are GPL'ed - GPL is applicable to PROGRAM which doesn't exist.
(vidix is not a program)
It something strange.
Anyway you should call something by PROGRAM to which is applied GPL of parts!
> > > the good old trick used by ml3labe and some other projects to solve fuckin
> > '
> > > gpl restrictions
> > >
> > The licence doesn't affect products.
> > You can use GPL'ed gcc to compile commercial program.
> > The same as you can links with GPL objects if your program doesn't required.
> > its source.
> > What about header - they don't violate licence (at least I can rewrite them
> > from scratch).
> > > YOU will break gpl by allowing users to distribute it in compiled form :)
> > Licence of which part of COLLECTION forbits do that?
>
> dunno. many, including all code by me.
> i'll switch to gpl my code as soon as we get rid of other problems

The biggest program is described above