[MPlayer-dev-eng] Yes, I decided to fork!

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Sat Mar 16 20:19:18 CET 2002

Hello!

I really decided to fork and at sf.net already available for download
mplayerxp-0.0.0.
Yes! I found out that threading core provides UNREAL performance.
Yes! I watched 540x288 at 25fps DivX-MPEG4 movie without frame dropping
(real-timely) on Cel1-266 with simultaneously working gcc.
(vidix+ffdivx+xp+double).
I was amazed and decide that the fork is best solution for me.
(Simply because the mplayerxp which I builded solves
all my needs already now).
I know mplayerxp is buggy for now and won't work on SMP.
Probably it has other lacks. But I'm ready to fight them.

About my planes: As it was written in TODO within package:
mplayerxp should be smallest player due moving codecs out from player.
It will call them on demand through dlopen - it will solve many problems:
like:
- simplest configuring
- user can download codec when it will want to use it.

It requires other design of libmpcodec - I should recognize binary
available codecs on the fly (like what is divxdecore.so: odivx or divx4).

I'm not sure - maybe kill GUI (it should be front-end means independed project).
And probably - kill mencoder - I'm not mencoder developer, I'm even not mencoder user :).

I'll try to save all -vo -ao drivers. What about -vc -ac - they should be totally
revised.

When I finish restructurizing of source tree - I'll open CVS.
(I really don't know how I can remove subdir on sf.net :( ).

Thanks you for excellent player! Probably I will import some parts (like libmpdemux)
in the future.

Best regards! Nick