[MPlayer-dev-eng] HTTP basic authentication support

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jun 24 09:54:16 CEST 2002

On Monday 24 June 2002 04:14, Bertrand Baudet wrote:
> [My] Comment was:
> ---------
> hmm, are you sure it's a good idea to read user and pass from mplayer's
> stdin? I think it should rather only give the error message and then go to
> next file/exit. A nice idea would be a -user xxx -pass yyy switch, so a
> global user/pass for all following urls can be specified.
> e.g: mplayer -user blah -pass blub http://xxx/1.mpg http://xxx/2.mpg
> ---------
>
> Yes, I kindda agree with that! It's not a really nice integration
> with the GUI neither.
> But it would be also nice to have an interaction with the user
> so it can specify a username/password for a protection space.
> I should cache(in memory) the username/password for each
> realm(protection space), so when the user is prompt once for
> user/pass for a protection space, it will never be prompted again.
> The cache will not be persistant.
>
> Any suggestion, anybody?
I still think you should remove the interactive password reading in this way,
it simply doesn't fit mplayer's controlling-scheme. e.g. think off fullscreen
only vo, mplayer will hang, but user won't see why.
The only reliable way I see, is to have a user/pass prompt via the osd,
because it would be displayable by every vo.

For now IMHO just leave this interaction out.
--
Best Regards,
        Atmos