[MPlayer-dev-eng] MCF ( Multimedia Container Format ) : Invitation to participate

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Thu Jun 6 02:07:04 CEST 2002

Hi

On Wednesday 05 June 2002 23:55, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > so, i wote for the mplayer-fileformat then :)
> >
> > or change MCF like needed...
>
> i doubt it's possible...
> 1, they already wrote some libs and apps using mcf,
> 2, they announce mcf with teh most importamt feature: using minimum bits
> for headers, and maximize data area - it's against 2-layer packetization
> required for raw seeking and error-resistance. they don't address these
> issues, insteda they use index, and save index twice on theyr mode-2 cd
> format to "protect" it - it's silly imho, and won't work realiable one of
> their developers already forked, he also didn't accept this silly approach
> - maybe we should contact him. imho few MBytes for a 680MB movie does worth
> error-resistance and solid seeking... but their optinion is: don't waste
> bytes for useless headers...
hmm, allthough i know very little about avi/asf/mcf/.../demuxers ...
i dont really understand the problem with raw seeking vs small files as
seeking is only meaningfull to keyframes, it should be enough to add a fixed
64 bit number per keyframe, this would increase the filesize only slightly
(with a keyframe every 10sec its only +3kb per hour)
and the probability that this 64bit value exists somewhere in the middle is
so low that its not worth thinking about, allthough the completly paranoid
might allso want to store the 64-bit value in tha main header instead of
hardcoding it

[...]

Michael