[MPlayer-dev-eng] ATI + vidix scaler quality

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Jul 6 21:45:25 CEST 2002

Hi,

> > Alex mentioned some time ago that vidix scaling on radeon looks ugly.
> > Now i'v tested vidix on notebook with mach64, and the vidix scaling is
> > simple nearest-neighbour type (YUY2) :(
> > GATOS drivers (Xv) has nice scaling on the same machine, looks like
> > bicubic or so.
> >
> > Is it possible that some flags aren't set by vidix, or it's a deeper
> > problem?
> possible, there are flags to switch between nearest neighbour / cubic?
> it looks ok here though
> ... bits 2&3 of OVERLAY_SCALE_CNTL

hmm. i've found that i was wrong :)
it auto-selected the vfw cinepak codec with BGR15 colorspace. and it seems
the ati rage mobility chipset can't do interpolation for rgb 15/32.

i've played with those flags and found the same as you described in the
comments. and it works fine for YUV colorspaces with interpolation.

so, the solution for me was -vop format=yv12 :)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team