[MPlayer-dev-eng] encoding to huffyuv

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Jul 1 00:12:53 CEST 2002

Hi,

> > Actualy mencoder handles v4l input an inefficient way, I cant save
> > 384x288 stream without drops using mnecoder while using streamer from
> > xawtv I can save 768x288 with fewer drops. I will add the losless
> > compression to steamer and the support to read it to mplayer, this is
> > probably the easiest way achieve my goal. I will develop own simple
> > format based on advices and experince from anyone capable, as the
> > huffyuv sources contain assembler in a Microsoft format, which I dont
> > want to rewrite by hand and dont know any convertor to at least nasm.
>
> I think the problem in mencoder is that the writes to disk block, but
> that's just a guess. Try piping output to a separate writing process
> that does its own buffering. It might also be good to be calling
> sync frequently so the stupid kernel doesn't try to buffer up a lot of
> stuff itself and then freeze for a few seconds when it figures out it
> actually needs to write to disk.

the big problem of mplayer/mencoder if the lack of cacheing for v4l grab.
you can workaround it by running 2 mencoder, one to do the grabbing to
uncompressed avi, piped to another via cache to do the compression and disk
writes:

mencoder -tv ... -oac copy -ovc copy -o - | mencoder -cache 16384 -oac copy
-ovc lavc -lavcopts ... -

> P.S. Please word wrap your emails. It's a lot of work reading them
> (much less trying to quote them legibly) when they extend for 10 pages
> horizontally.
I've already implemented word wrapping (at reading) into my MUA, it works
fine, except that it wordwraps inline patches too :(

A'rpi
--
Using GyS-Mailer3 GSM Edition :)