[MPlayer-dev-eng] audio resampling

Attila Kinali kinali at gmx.net
Sat Jan 19 12:36:58 CET 2002

Hoi Anders,

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 22:04:23 +0800
Anders Johansson <ajh at atri.curtin.edu.au> wrote:

> I have solved the sync problem with fractional audio resampling. This
> means that people with old (max 44.1kHz) or fix frequency soundcards
> can watch movies regardless of sample frequency. I will document the
> audio plugins now when this works. Please test the plugin if you have
> time, it is enabled as follows:

I have such an old sound card (sb16), never had sync problems

>  If you get the following error message
> "[ao_plugin] Warning under or over flow in sound plugin" please send
> me an email.

Got to of them while watching a small divx (small from playtime, not size :-)
But that's not comparable with those i had before (over hundred)

> One unfortunate thing with this plugin is that the sound output level
> is divided by 2 (this reduces the SNR which sucks). I could fix this
> but in that case I can not fix the problem with the sample frequency
> (since it requires filters designed off line). My guess is that getting
> exact sample frequency is more important especially if one wants to
> use this plugin with mencoder -- comments?

Yes, that's something that we can live with mplayer, but with
mencoder normalized sound is necessary. What is the exact problem with
SNR ? Sure, resampling adds noise, but is it that bad ?

			Attila Kinali

--
I am a moslem, i am a terrorist.