[MPlayer-dev-eng] latest CVS

Fredrik Kuivinen freku045 at student.liu.se
Sat Jan 12 22:20:01 CET 2002

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 09:00:40PM +0100, Felix Buenemann wrote:
> On Saturday, 12. January 2002 17:31, you wrote:
> > The only problem is: on Arpi's system (Slackware) awk is a symlink for
> > gawk, on my system it's a symlink for mawk, and noone (?) tested it with
> > the original(?)-awk. Btw, it worked with gawk,mawk, it could work with awk,
> > so change it (btw, read my standpoint about is_awk_needed in my previous
> > mail)
> on my laptop (SuSE) awk is symlink to gawk. on my server (LFS) it's symlink
> to mawk, doesn't matter as long as it's awk compatible.
> Only thing I had to do, was to change awk version check to -W version which
> works with both mawk and gawk and hopefully original awk. --version is only
> known by gawk!

freku045 at astmatix:~$ uname -a
SunOS astmatix.ida.liu.se 5.8 Generic_108528-10 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4
freku045 at astmatix:~$ nawk -W version
nawk: unknown option -W ignored
^C
freku045 at astmatix:~$ awk -W version
awk: syntax error near line 1
awk: bailing out near line 1

The script works with nawk but not with awk on that computer. Why not use perl
instead? If we use perl we won't have to tell users to get gawk, nawk or mawk
if their awk didn't work.

/ Fredrik Kuivinen