[MPlayer-dev-eng] [Suggest] Add a proxy option for network streaming

Bertrand Baudet bertrand_baudet at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 12 22:13:25 CET 2002

On Saturday 12 January 2002 06:55 am, you wrote:
> On Saturday 12 January 2002 05:45, you wrote:
> > Sam Lin <itrs at softwell.com.tw> wrote:
> > > How about add a option -proxy that can use a proxy server for network
> > > streaming or cache ?
> > > Does anyone have an idea ?
> >
> > Not a good idea. A proxy is more to cache files that are repeatedly
> > downloaded. A stream is downloaded once, not more, ie it would fill
> > the proxy but no use at all. And most proxies dont cache files beyond
> > a certain size.
>
> proxy != cache
>
> a proxy is sometimes also used for security. on some
> networks you have to use a proxy to access resources
> on the internet.

Yes, true.
I added a proxy support for this case.

To use a proxy just add proxy://hostname:port in front of the URL of your
stream for example:

./mplayer proxy://squid_server:3128/http://the_server:port/stream

The disadvantage of adding the proxy in front of the url is that if you
want to stream several urls you have to add this proxy in front of all the
URLs.
But I didn't want to put my hand in mplayer for adding a new option like
-proxy. Anyway this feature can be added later if someone want to do so.
If the proxy option is present we just have to reformat the URL to match the
above URL and everything should work.

People behind proxy, please test it and let me know if it works.
I successfully tested it by using squid locally on http requests for both
progressive and mms(http only) streaming.

Bertrand