[MPlayer-dev-eng] More subtitles: mencoder with DVD subtitles, mplayer with Fri Jan 4 01:50:38 2002

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Jan 4 01:02:45 CET 2002

Hi,

> Support for subtitles in mencoder.  Currently only works correctly if
> no image resizing is applied.  If you upscale the image, the subtitles
> will be to small and too much toward the upper left corner (they are
> not scaled).  Downscaling is a complete NO NO!  Fix will be soon.

Please wait with this.
We need a big change in mencoder: first assemble the image slices together
to a whole image. When the frame decoding is done, and we have the complete
image, we should do some optional filtering:
- render subtitles
- crop/expand
- colorspace conversion (to yv12, requires for scaling)
- scaling
- colorspace conversion (to encoder's accepted format)

this way subtitles will be scaled.

> Preliminary support for VobSub subtitles.  Use the -vobsub option.
few questions:
- why is it in mplayer only?
- why is palette NULL? the included vobsub code requires IFO file as well.
- why you need external mpg demuxer code (vobsub.c) ? isn't libmpdemux ok?
  (not a big prob, i just want to minimalize redundant code)
- why did you add new render entry to libvo's sub.c ? i think as dvd sub and
  vobsub are very similar things, they should be handled by the same code.

> You can turn antialiasing on or off at compile time (see first line of
> spudec.c).  Opacity is not yet correct with antialiasing.  Seeking
> backward is not possible.  When seeking forward or when selecting a
> subtitle that is not the first in the file, subtitles take a very long
> time to catchup.

maybe we should go through the vob, and read all subtitles to memory.
then we could freely seek. i don't think it needs too much memory. if yes,
we can only keep the indices of file, and read it runtime.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu