[MPlayer-dev-eng] vp3 etc

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Jan 3 23:23:59 CET 2002

Hi,

> (arpi): really we want to see native linux version of your codec - instead
> of win32
> loader hack. do you plan it? i've seen a few linux-related files in the
> source, but it looks very unfinished and unmaintained :(
>
> Would love to do it but it's a matter of resources of course.  In the
:(

> meantime, since you are shipping the binary as part of your downloads, we
> would appreciate if you will update that binary when we provide you with
> the fix. The CRO call is not really necessary, especially in this case; it's

Are there other fixes too?
Because of we fixed the cr0 'bug' in binary (disabling that code).

> Ok, guilty as charged.  This codebase represents many, many man-years of
> development with essentially one team, and we did not have the time &
> money to clean it up the way
> we would like.  We're planning to get it on Sourceforge so it can be
think it twice. or more.
we left sourceforge, as their support is far from being as good as they
advertise. their servers are slow as hell, and even the project maintainer
can't get full control over the CVS (so no renaming/moving files, deleting
dirs etc). sometimes anonymous locks stuck, and nobody can commit for days.
i've just posted a support request for removing stale lock from ffmpeg cvs,
the answer i got:

"ABOUT YOUR ISSUE: Based on our triage of this issue, we have
concluded that this issue, which requests the removal of a stale
lock from your project CVS repository, warrants immediate review
by another member of the SourceForge.net team. As result, this
issue has been flagged with Priority 3, for sorting purposes.
Issues within this priority class are generally slated for review
and closure within two business days (roughly 48 to 72 physical
hours), but are often addressed more quickly than that."

Hey, what the hell? Why do they need 2-3 business :) day for
removing a stucked lockfile???

I'm waiting for 3 days to be able commit Michael's slice fix patch, but i
still cannot.

> properly maintained,
rotfl

> I hope so.  It's also a damned good codec, especially in comparison to
> anything else you can get unfettered source for.  We're hoping that the
> format will become very popular, as everyone can get the
> source code and do whatever they want with it.  As you all know, most of
> the codecs, file formats, and streaming protocols out there are heavily
> controlled by major corporations with potentially conflicting and
what about asm optimizations? you shoudl do that in portable way, at least
on x86 systems.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu